GROW: Professional Development (October)
Our GROW events take place once a quarter and are designed to give you a varied range of CPD all in one go. This session will be hosted by our Investment Specialist, Alasdair Wilson.
Pension Annuities – Personalisation and Options – Just Group
In this session, Just Group’s Martin Lines will delve into the world of underwriting annuities and the options that can significantly impact clients’ financial futures. Martin will look at the importance of underwriting and how it can lead to better client outcomes. He’ll also look at the valuable death benefit options and give an update on the significant rate changes seen in recent months.
This session will bring you right up to date with the developments in underwriting and give hints and tips for effectively communicating the benefits of underwriting guaranteed income and addressing common concerns.
- Understand the importance of lifestyle and medical information in personalising advice.
- Explore the death benefit options available with an annuity.
- Discuss the benefits of disclosure to your clients and the difference this can make.
Retirement Income Planning – Risk management for adviser and client – Brooks Macdonald
Investors’ confidence has taken a hit in recent times, with low-interest rates, increasing living costs and volatile markets. What’s more, many people who were approaching retirement are now feeling pressured to delay drawing down on their income. The FCA then announced its Retirement Income review and sent out questionnaires to advisers, which gives us an insight into their thinking.
In this session, Brooks Macdonald will explain how different strategies can meet the ever-changing regulatory backdrop, and meet the retirement challenge head-on.
By the end of this session, delegates will be able to:
- Understand how the upcoming FCA thematic review might affect central retirement propositions.
- Describe the current options and risks at retirement i.e., inflation.
- Understand how structured return investments are helping to secure income for clients.
High-quality fixed income strategies for income and resilience in uncertain times – PIMCO
The first three years of this decade have been highly unusual compared to the 2010s due to the once-in-a-century pandemic. To combat this, authorities locked down economies and provided massive financial support, leading to the sharpest and longest surge in global inflation in 40 years. Central banks responded with aggressive rate hikes, causing financial turmoil, a banking crisis, and predictions of a looming recession.
Considering today’s yield levels, high-quality bonds may offer long-term returns similar to stocks but with less volatility and better downside protection. In this session, PIMCO’s Lee Dineen FCSI will explain how high-quality fixed income fits into a retirement strategy, offering consistent income through a diversified approach. Additionally, he will discuss how income investors can pursue higher yields and potential price appreciation in the fixed income market while staying resilient amid economic uncertainty.
By the end of this session, attendees will be able to:
- Be able to explain the core considerations for the macro-economic outlook in both the short and longer term and describe how inflation, rates and credit positioning affect fixed income returns.
- Be able to summarise why an allocation to the Sterling Strategic Bond sector is beneficial within a portfolio context.
- Explain the historical and current context of Fixed Income valuations and the opportunity set.